Wednesday, January 16, 2013

my cup runneth over...

How often do you look around at someone else and think "how on earth does she do it?" More often than not the thing that comes to my mind is grace.  I look at other moms in the trenches who dust themselves off sometimes even put on some lip stick, get dressed- and love, lead, learn, cook, taxi, clean, and smile...with gratitude. To me the explanation is grace.  By the grace of God we are able to teach our children, love them, and appreciate these days even though they sometimes seem grueling.

About a year ago, I was driving my second leg of carpool in somewhat of a fog when a friend said to me "I really grieve for young moms who grit their teeth and at the end of the day feel like they have just...survived."  On that particular day, I thought to myself...."you are grieving for me today."  And I felt so sad, I felt like I was missing it.  Honestly it was like such a light bulb, it just made sense.  As much as I talk about being sentimental and loving the old days and worrying about the future...I am trying to intentionally to love the present, the moment, the smile, the yogurt all over the shirt I just ironed but a smile like there's no tomorrow to go with it.
I am leaning into gratitude for the fact that I am in the trenches sometime, but in good company.  And if I cant make my way on my own or find my Hero's hand, I have that sweet voice of my friend that stands with me and makes me think "how does she do it?" It's funny there is always someone thinking about someone else, "how does she do it?"  We may not ever know it, and to us we think "hey this is just my life we dig in and go...hoping to mold little souls and build foundations for Christ loving girls and boys in the midst of goldfish and orange juice in our hair, a toe that has been stepped on one too many times (maybe there is worker's comp)- its a job, everyone's got one, I am so indescribably grateful for mine.
Im not promising I wont be frustrated or never complain, but I will promise I wouldn't trade this for the world....and I will promise that I wont give up-
I will stop wishing things were easier and instead pray I myself am better at them.

My dad has now sent me two letters with the same quotation enclosed...pretty sure he will claim he said it himself soon- "the greater part of our happiness depends on our disposition, not our circumstance."-Martha Washington

Speaking of look at this inspiration...His fingerprints everywhere and somewhere there's a momma who is emailing her friends that her "cup runneth over" I feel almost certain.

1 comment:

lindley said...

So love this post!! Yes, praying that I won't wish away hard days, but praying that He will give me grace for those days to handle them as He would want me to!! Thank you!!